Saturday, December 8, 2012

I Love it When a Plan Comes Together!

Recently I was asked to help plan a large event. I learned some very valuable things through this process.

Number one: I really dislike being in charge of big events. I can handle smaller functions, like baby showers and birthday parties. In fact I enjoy planning those, but being in charge of something huge, and having to make executive decisions stresses me out. Big time. I am more of a follower than a leader, meaning I am really good at showing up, bringing things, and being told what to do. I will do it! I don't like having to tell other people what to do, or how to do it. Unless you're family, or a dancer. Those are the only exceptions. In other words? Big events? No. Small events? Yes!

Number two: I am cranky when stressed. If I am overwhelmed by something, then I will more than likely snap at you. I don't mean too, but hey, who doesn't get a little snippy when overwhelmed.

Number three: I don't like large crowds of people! I am a shy person by nature, and therefore, would rather be in a small group of people that I know, or at home by myself, than out in a crowd of hundreds. I get overwhelmed by the noise, and chaos of the situation. You can imagine my anxiety then, at having to be in a room of 250 people because I was half in charge of the event taking place and worrying about what they think of said event and of me as a result. Its like putting an ant under a magnifying glass and saying, "now dance for me!" Yeah right!!! This ant is getting the heck out of dodge!

Long story short? Big things make me stress out, and I have some sort of social anxiety. Lessons learned? Take a break from the crowd every so often, and stick to people I know. Also, try to avoid being in charge of big events, if at all possible, but don't be afraid to offer assistance. Done.

1 comment:

  1. I meant to add that the finished product of this large event turned out great, and everyone enjoyed themselves. :) Hence the plan coming together. ;)

    ReplyDelete